1) You must be enrolled in a state or federally recognized tribal nation. Applicants should be prepared to submit documentation with the Application. If you have any questions, please email Dreamstarter@IndianYouth.org.
2) Your proposed project must follow one of the 3 prompts. You may work within any style and with any medium you like, but the completed project must be reflective of one of the 3 listed prompts.
3) You must meet minimum age requirements. INDIVIDUALS applying must be at least 18 years of age. If you are applying with a partnering NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION you must be at least 15 years of age to apply.
4) You must use grant funds appropriately. Grant monies are to be used for you to complete this project, funds should be spent on things like: supplies, materials, and equipment; Workshops and seminars; professional development; stipends for cultural bearers, ect. Have a question on what spending is eligible? Email us at Dreamstarter@indianyouth.org
February 9, 2023: Applications open
April 4, 2023: Applications due
April 18, 2023: Selected applicants notified
May 1, 2023: Grant Monies dispersed
November 15, 2023: Project update due
June 30, 2024: End of grant year, all monies Must be spent
August 15, 2024: All receipts and final grant report due.
1) Grant Budget and Budget Narrative Please include a detailed budget of how you will spend grant monies.
For a grant budget template visit bit.ly/DSCreativeBudgetTemplate
2) Grant Narrative Please explain how you will complete this project. What would be the impact/significance of this project?
3) W9 If you have chosen to have the grant monies disbursed to you, an INDIVIDUAL, you must submit a personal W9. If you have chosen for the grant monies to be disbursed to a partnering ORGANIZATION, you must submit the Organization’s W9.
4) Artwork Samples Please submit 3-5 photo samples of your previous works, in the medium you intend to use with this project.
5) Headshot Please submit a headshot that you are willing to share on social media. Successful applicant’s photos and a brief bio will be shared on Running Strong’s website/social media pages.
6) Tribal Enrollment Documentation Be prepared to share documentation of your tribal enrollment at the time of application submittal.
7) Optional Documents/Photos You have the opportunity to submit 2 additional attachments. This could be pictures of other works you have completed, shows you have participated in, photos of you in action, anything that you feel would strengthen your application.
You are to complete 3-5 pieces of work pertaining to one of the provided art prompts. Please select 1 of the 3 art prompts options that you will focus on throughout your grant year (May 2023-July 2024). This year’s selections will focus on Native communities and their interactions with changing landscapes, from traditional lands to urban landscapes. Choose a prompt that sparks your creativity!
A selection of artwork reflecting on traditional landscapes, animals, foods and plants.Projects could feature: How native communities interact with the land before urbanization/colonization. Traditional stories about the environment. Items made from traditional plants/animals.
A selection of art work that focuses on Land Sovereignty. Projects could feature: Land sovereignty activists, and their efforts. The importance of resilience and reclamation. Threats to land sovereignty.
A selection of art work describing the future of Native communities in urban landscapes. Projects could feature: How native communities interact with/will interact with urban landscapes. The adaptation of traditional practices in urban environments. How urban areas would be different if built by indigenous peoples.
Need clarificaiton on a promt? Email us: Dreamstarter@indianyouth.org